Click for Loveland, Colorado Forecast

Monday, April 6, 2009

The Lost Heroes of SEAL TEAM 10. And how it humbled my life two years later and even to this day.







On October 19th, 2007, I went to work just like any other day. About two hours into my shift, my life changed in a way that still affects me to this day. On that morning, the parents of Matt Axelson were at the foundry to watch the final stages of their son's monument being completed. I found them in the Patina Department. Inside the room was an almost somber (closure?) type of atmosphere. The artist, who was commissioned to sculp the piece, was overseeing the patina process making sure the proper colors and tone were being applied to the bronze sculpture. While the Mother and Father of Matt "Axe" Axelson- Donna and Corky Axelson were looking on as if it was their little boy getting his first haircut at the local barber. Axe, was of one of the men who lost his life on that terrible day in Afghanistan.

It was at that time I decided to go into the room and offer my condolences. I was cautious at first, as I did not want to intrude on this very personal time. But I introduced myself to Mrs. Axelson, and told her how proud I was of her son and the other SEAL team members who lost their lives. I also told her I was a Navy Veteran, and that i took special pride while working on her son's monument, as did every other employee who had a hand in the six month process. She reached and gave me a hug, and that's when the tears began. I again thanked her as well as her husband, and I returned to my work area.

Later that day, The Axelson's came into my department and we once again spoke, cried, and thanked each other. The next day, when the monument was to be shipped to California for the dedication, Mr. and Mrs. Axelson again came into my department and gave me a copy of Lone Survivor. And on the inside cover, she had written her thanks and gratitude for my work that was put into the sculpture.

I can promise you, this book will never leave my home, and will be handed down to each generation of my family from this day forward. Her son gave the ultimate sacrifice, and yet she was thanking me for the work I had done on a monument that was honoring her son's ultimate sacrifice. Was I humbled? Damn right!

Please visite the following websites for more information about these brave men who made the ultimate sacrifice and gave their lives for their country. And last but not least - to Marcus Luttrell, the LONE SURVIVOR, who fought valiantly against all odds and lived to tell the story and to preserve the memories of his fallen team mates.












































No comments:

Post a Comment